City of Shawnee

Special Animal Permit

A Special Animal Permit is required to keep the following animals within the City:

  • More than four (4) Dogs and/or Cats over the age of six (6) months;
  • Large Animals, as defined in Chapter 6.04 of the Shawnee Municipal Code;
  • Fowl, as defined in Chapter 6.04 of the Shawnee Municipal Code;
  • Chickens;
  • Domesticated hares and/or rabbits and/or ferrets;
  • Bees; and
  • Domesticated Rodents.

General Regulations (applies to all the animals listed above)

  • Valid rabies certificates must be submitted for all dogs and/or cats at the time of application.
  • All neighbors within 200 feet of the applicant's property will be notified.
  • Applicants may not have more than three valid complaints within the previous 12 month period.
  • Applicants may not have more than three valid animal violations within the previous 24 month period.
  • All applicants will be required to have an inspection of the premises by a Community Service officer prior to approval of the permit.
  • Applicants should check with homes association to determine if the number of type of animals requested is allowed.
  • A new permit is required if any animal is replaced or added or if the applicant moves to a new address within the City.
  • All permits shall be valid for one calendar year (January 1 to December 31).
  • Renewal permits must be submitted no later than twenty-five (25) days prior to the end of the license year.

Chicken Regulations

  • No more than 10 Chickens can be kept in the City.
  • Roosters are not allowed in the City.
  • Chicken Coops, Runs, and/or Tractors must be at least 10 feet from the nearest property line and at least 40 feet from any adjacent residential dwelling, church, school or place of business.
  • Chicken Coops, Runs, and/or Tractors must be inspected by a Community Service Officer prior to obtaining Chickens.
  • Chickens must be kept in a clean, safe and healthy environment at all times. Chickens must be kept in a Coop, Chicken Run, or Chicken Tractor at all times. Coops, Runs and Tractors shall be:
    • Inspected by and receive the written approval of a Community Service Officer during the permitting process.
    • Built with and maintain a minimum of 2 square feet per Chicken, but shall not exceed 100 square feet total.
    • Enclosed on all sides and shall have a roof and doors. Access doors must be able to be shut and locked. Opening windows and vents must be covered with predator and bird-proof wire of less than one-inch openings.
    • Consist of sturdy wire or wooden fencing and shall be designed so as to be easily maintained.
    • Constructed and maintained with durable materials that will hold up to weather and environment. Used materials (reclaimed material), scrap, waste board, sheet metal, or similar materials are prohibited.
    • Subject to inspection by a Community Service Officer as needed to verify and maintain compliance with this Section.
  • Chicken waste is the responsibility of the owner. No more than three (3)  cubic feet of Chicken waste may be maintained as manure fertilizer. The Coop, Chicken Run, and Chicken Tractor and surrounding area must be kept free from trash and accumulated Chicken waste droppings. The Chicken owner shall take necessary action to reduce the attraction of predators and rodents and the potential infestation of insects and parasites.

A complete list of regulations can be found in Chapter 6.10 of the Shawnee Municipal Code.

The completed application and fee must be submitted by mail or in person to City Clerk's office, 11110 Johnson Drive, Shawnee, KS 66203.

Special Animal Permit Application (pdf)
Special Animal Permit Brochure (pdf)
Backyard Chicken Brochure (pdf)


  • New Special Animal Permit fee: $90
  • Renewal Special Animal Permit fee: $45

These fees are non-refundable and no prorated fee is available.