City of Shawnee

Solicitor Permits

Anyone who goes to a private residence without being invited for the purpose of taking orders for the sale of goods, merchandise, wares for future delivery or for services to be performed in the future. This also includes persons who sell goods or services for political, charitable, religious or other non-commercial purposes. Anyone who goes to a private residence without being invited and offering goods, wares, merchandise or personal property of any nature for sale.

Political candidates and their agents are not considered Solicitors or Peddlers and are allowed to campaign
door-to-door (SMC 5.56.020(B)(8)) .


  • Must obtain a valid Solicitor/Peddler permit from the City Clerk's office.
  • Must obtain a valid Business License from the City Clerk's office.
  • Solicitor's must carry a valid Solicitor's permit with them and show it to any resident or officer of the City should they request to see it. Solicitors without a valid permit are subject to arrest.
  • The permit may not be used as an endorsement of the City.
  • No Soliciting at residences or businesses that have a 'No Solicitors' or 'No Trespassers' sign. Residents can contact the City Clerk's Office at 913.742.6014 or by email to request a free No Solicitor stickers.
  • You may solicit between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. only.
  • Only solicit at the main entrance of a residence.
  • Must tell each person from whom you are soliciting your name and the name of the business or organization that you represent.
  • Must provide a written receipt for purchases exceeding $5.00. The receipt must describe the goods or services sold and state the purchase price, amount of cash payment, if any, the balance due and the terms of payment.
  • Do not solicit the same home more than once within a 30 day period.
  • Must leave a residence or business should the owner ask you to leave. Violators can be arrested and prosecuted for criminal trespassing. You may not make any assertion, representation or statement or use any plan or scheme which misrepresents the purpose of your visit.
  • No selling or offering goods, wares or merchandise from a vehicle on any public street of the City.
  • Do not use any sound device or musical instruments; make any loud speaking radio or sound amplifying system, on any streets, alleys, parks or other public places or on any private premises in the City for the purpose of attracting attention to any merchandise.
  • Do not restrict or interfere with the ingress or egress, congest or delay traffic, or create a hazard to traffic, life, or property. You may not cause an obstruction or prohibit access by fire, police or sanitation vehicles.
  • A Solicitor's Permit is not required for persons soliciting for charitable contributions. 'Charitable' means any activity carried on for unselfish, civic or humanitarian motives for the benefit of others and not for private gain. Charitable Contribution means any contribution made on behalf of a nonprofit organization holding a tax exemption certificate from the IRS pursuant to Section 501. Any charitable organization should submit a copy of their tax exempt certificate along with a letter to the City Clerk identifying the recipient of the funds, fund raising methods and the dates during which the funds will be collected prior to soliciting in the City.
  • Permits are non-transferable.

A complete list of regulations can be found in Chapter 5.56 of the Shawnee Municipal Code.

The completed application and affidavit must be submitted by mail or in person to City Clerk's office, 11110 Johnson Drive, Shawnee, KS 66203.

Solicitor Permit Application (pdf)
Solicitor's Guide Brochure

The fee is $5.00 and must be paid at the time application is made. The fee is not prorated and no refund is available.