City of Shawnee

Adaptive Recreation

Shawnee Parks & Recreation’s Adaptive Recreation programs aim to make a positive impact in the lives of people with special needs and their families. Adaptive Recreation will provide modifications to existing programming that will allow for participant success, acceptance and inclusion. Beyond modifications to existing programs, Shawnee Parks & Recreation offers a well-rounded offering of classes and events designed with the special needs community in mind. These programs will provide enrichment, social interaction, and improved physical and mental wellbeing. If you or a loved one need modifications or have programming requests, contact Riki Kisner at (913-742-6408). Would you like Riki to contact you directly? Complete this interest form!

Frequently Asked Questions

Who are Adaptive Recreation activities for?

While anyone is welcome to sign up for any activity, please keep in mind that the programs for Adaptive Recreation were created with the special needs community in mind and may move at a different pace or be modified from the other activities offered with parks and recreation.

My child wants to try a youth class, but has sensory needs/ autism. What should I do?

Shawnee parks and recreation aspires to be an inclusive welcoming community to all. Please contact Riki Kisner at (913-742-6408) to discuss reasonable accommodations for your child.

Can my child with special needs attend Kids Night Out or Tween Night Out?

YES! Go ahead and Register and then contact Riki Kisner at (913-742-6408) to discuss reasonable accommodations and supports necessary for your child to participate.

I will be coming with an individual who has a disability, do I need to register and pay as well?

We invite and encourage caregivers/ assistants to join the participants at no charge if it increases the likely hood of enjoyment and success of the individual. Please indicate the additional caregiver in the registration notes for planning purposes. If the caregiver is planning to participate alongside a participant (will eat or use materials in addition to the participant) then caregiver registration would be appropriate. If they will be assisting a participant, it isn’t necessary.

Where will Adaptive Recreation activities and classes take place?

Unless otherwise stated in the catalog or description, the activities will take place at the Shawnee Civic Centre. 

What transportation options are available?
  • RideKC Taxi voucher program - The program provides taxi services to Johnson County residents. Anyone who is age 65+ or has a disability is eligible to apply. Call (816) 221-0660 for more information.
  • Johnson County Transit Special Edition - A shared-ride program providing affordable curb-to-curb transportation for registered residents of Johnson County who are age 65+, have a documented disability or meet low-income guidelines. Call (816) 221-0660 for more information.