Carlyle Apartment Fire
News from Shawnee
Carlyle Apartment Fire

Shawnee Fire Department Concludes Preliminary Investigation of Carlyle Apartment Complex

The Shawnee Fire Department responded this morning to a building fire located at 11601 W. 75th Terrace in the Carlyle Apartment complex. First arriving crews found a light haze of smoke in the hallway with fire alarms sounding. They began checking apartments and quickly found Apartment #2 with heavy smoke inside. The crews entered the apartment, began searching and found a male and female who were both unresponsive. Crews removed both victims and began resuscitation efforts on both. Med-Act assumed patient care and after evaluation pronounced both dead at the scene.

The female was identified as 21-year old Jay’d Griffin and the male was later identified as 23-year old JaMaur Smith. Preliminary autopsy reports indicate both died as a result of carbon monoxide toxicity due to smoke inhalation.

The fire scene investigation was conducted and the stove top in the kitchen of the apartment was determined to be the origin of the fire. Due to the extensive damage to the stove, investigators are unable to confirm the indication of the control knobs. This fire has been determined to be accidental.

The Shawnee Fire Department wants to emphasize the importance of individual working smoke detectors. Investigators did find a smoke detector in the apartment but the battery had been removed.

For more information please contact: Fire Chief John Mattox, (913) 631-1080

www.GoodStartsHere.org