Do you have a seventh grader who would be interested in becoming “Mayor for the Day?” In an effort to encourage students to learn more about their local government, Mayor Michelle Distler has started the Mayor for a Day Essay contest.
This year's theme is "How to get more people engaged with their local government". Essays are due April 21st.
The winner will get a free pool pass, have the opportunity to shadow Mayor Distler for a day, be recognized at a council meeting and win other fun prizes. More details are below.
- Any Shawnee student who is currently in seventh grade is eligible to enter the “Mayor for the Day” Essay Contest.
- Essays should
- Address the theme of the year.
- Be no longer than two pages (typed or handwritten).
- Be the student’s original work.
- Include the students name, address and way to contact them should they win.
- Only one essay per student may be submitted
- Essays should be submitted electronically (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by mail (11110 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS 66203) to Mayor Distler.
- Sincerity of Thought
- Understanding of City Services
- Proper use of Grammar