The City of Shawnee website now offers the ability to "Listen" to a web page for those individuals who may find it challenging to read the printed text in a browser window. The Listen button is located in the lower right corner of web pages that offer this feature. Please note that not all web pages may have this ability. Simply scroll to the bottom and click the Listen button. Additional features and functionality of the ReadSpeaker Listen button are provided below.
If you have suggestions or would like to provide feedback on this feature, please email our Web Team. For more information on Readspeaker, please visit their website.
How to use the ReadSpeaker Listen function
How does it work?
ReadSpeaker allows the text on the website to be read out loud to you. It provides assistance for individuals who may find it challenging to read text online. By having the text read out loud to you, you can understand the information on the website more easily. This makes the content more accessible and the website more pleasant to visit. As a user, there is nothing to download -- simply click the Listen button.
Listen to the main content
You simply click the Listen button to listen to the web page's content:
A control panel will appear (see image below) and ReadSpeaker automatically starts reading the text of the web page out loud.
In the control panel you can:
- Pause/restart the reading
- Stop the reading
- Use the progress bar to navigate in the audio
- Adjust the volume
- Click the settings icon to adjust the behavior of the service
- Click the download icon to download the audio file
- Close the control panel
Listen to selected text
You can select a part of the text that you want to listen to and then press the pop-up Listen button that appears next to the mouse pointer. When you click the pop-up Listen button, a control panel will appear (see the image below) and ReadSpeaker will automatically start reading the text you have selected.
In the settings menu you can:
- Choose whether you want to have the text highlighted while read
- Choose style and colors for the highlighting
- Choose whether you want the reading speed to be slow, medium, or fast
- Choose whether you want the page to scroll automatically to follow the highlighted text
- Choose whether you want the pop-up Listen button to be shown when text is selected