New Updates from 10/20/17
Updates from 10/9/17
- The Nieman Road closure originally scheduled for overnight from 10pm Friday, October 20 through 6am Saturday, October 21 has been cancelled.
- Crews are closing west 61st Street at Nieman Road through November 3, 2017 so they can remove existing reinforced concrete boxes under Nieman Road.
Our Nieman Now! project is in full swing and we want to thank everyone for their patience throughout all the construction. We have some lane closures while crews work to install a new sanitary sewer main.
Thank you for your patience throughout this project and please be sure to abide by the 25 mph speed limit so we can make sure to keep all those workers safe while they are on the job.
Again, thank you for your patience and, as a reminder, all businesses along Nieman will be open through this entire construction process
Nieman Now! encompasses four stormwater projects and a major enhancement to Nieman Road between Shawnee Mission Parkway and 55th Street. Additionally, in the future, several other adjacent streets will be upgraded to provide great pedestrian and bicycle access throughout the entire area.
The focal point of Nieman Now! is turning Nieman Road into a three lane road with a bike and pedestrian path on one side and sidewalk on the other. We’ll also be adding trees, benches and signs and upgrading the street light fixtures. Construction is expected to be finished up by Fall of 2018.
The other driver for the project is addressing flooding issues by enhancing both the capacity and the appearance of the Turkey Creek Tributary that meanders through Downtown. The first phase was the Nieman South stormwater project just north of Shawnee Mission Parkway. Crews redirected the water and installed a concrete channel that now has a walking trail next to it that extends from West 62nd Street to Nieman Road. A pedestrian bridge at 62nd Street connects that neighborhood to the west and to the businesses on Nieman Road. A new sidewalk was added east along 62nd Street to build toward the connection with the Turkey Creek Trail that runs to downtown Kansas City.
June 26, 2017 City Council Updates
- Approved contract with Swallow Tail, LLC for stream mitigation credits for the Nieman South storm drainage improvements project and for the 6200 Nieman storm drainage improvements project
- Approved a utility relocation agreement with Water District No. 1 of Johnson County to relocate water facilities for the Nieman Now! project
- Approved purchase of building at 6020 Nieman Road which will allow further development for Nieman Middle
April 24, 2017 City Council Updates
Neighborhood Meeting Presentation, July 20, 2017
Neighborhood Meeting Presentation, January 30, 2017
Nieman Now Brochure
You can sign up to get news and updates delivered straight to your inbox by clicking here. You can also send an e-mail to email@example.com or call City Hall at 631-2500 if you have any questions.
For detailed information on each project click on the icons below.
- Final plans approved for the 6200 Nieman storm drainage improvements
- Authorization granted to acquire property at 10914-10924 Shawnee Mission Parkway
- Final plans approved for the Nieman Middle storm drainage improvements
- Project budget increase improved for Nieman Road to allow for relocating utilities underground