Demolition Building Permit Guidelines
NOTE: The Johnson County Historic Preservation Survey Coordinator (913) 631-6709 will be contacted by this office for any planned demolition.
- The permit fee is $30.00 (Checks should be made payable to "City of Shawnee").
- A description of all buildings and structures to be demolished (number of stories, wood frame, use of building, etc.).
- The method of demolition shall be noted on the application (no explosives).
- Location of demolition debris dump site (Note: Foundations are required to be completely removed from the site unless application for building permit has been made for buildback).
- Verification of all utility kills is required.
- A sketch of site and location of building on property. (Note: on site plan the location of building(s) to remain, and provisions for providing ground cover for the final site conditions).
- A completed Demolition Permit Application (pdf).
- Written permission from owner is required.
- Where necessary, proof of rat abatement may be required.
- Wells, cisterns, and septic tanks shall be abandoned in full compliance with applicable State and County regulations.
- Find attached the Kansas Department of Health and Environment Asbestos Demolition Notification pdf form which is required before a building or structure is to be demolished. Additional information can be found at the KDHE website or by calling (785) 296-1500. Submit a copy of the letter of receipt from KDHE.