The Shawnee Municipal Court has a policy for amending traffic tickets that are moving violations to a parking violation. A Defendant who has been issued a citation for a moving violation MAY be eligible for an amendment to a parking violation for double the fine if they fall within the following parameters:
Defendants who fall within these parameters may call the court for approval to amend the ticket. The decision to grant the amendment is entirely discretionary with the prosecutor. AN AMENDMENT IS A PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT. Please keep this in mind when dealing with Court Staff. Payment in full is required at the time of the amendment. NO TIME TO PAY WILL BE GRANTED.
- The defendant is at least 18 years of age and not in high school. Defendants who are 18 years of age or younger and still in high school must appear in court and ask to speak with a prosecutor.
- There was no accident.
- The occurrence was not in a school zone.
- The occurrence was not in a construction zone.
- The Defendant has not had a prior amendment in the City of Shawnee within the past 12 months (not calendar year).
- The Defendant was not going over 85 miles per hour.
- The Defendant was not going more than 20 miles per hour over the speed limit.
- The offense is a standard-fine offense. Speeding, failure to stop at a stop sign, failure to yield, and failure to signal are examples of standard fine offenses. If the ticket lists a fine amount on the front of the ticket, it is probably a standard fine offense. Any other offenses require a personal court appearance.
- The Defendant does not have too many tickets in his/her past. This is totally at the discretion of the Prosecutor.
- The violation was not Overtaking and Passing School Bus, Ordinance 2692, Section 81.
- The Defendant does not have a commercial driver's license.
Defendants who are interested in learning more about an amendment MUST contact the Shawnee Municipal Court prior to the scheduled court date. The court clerks will be able to determine if the ticket falls within the above guidelines to be amended.