CITY OF SHAWNEE
PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING
January 18, 2017
PLANNING COMMISSIONERS PRESENT STAFF PRESENT
Commissioner Bruce Bienhoff Planning Director Chaffee
Commissioner Augie Bogina Deputy Planning Director Allmon
Commissioner Randy Braley Planner Mark Zielsdorf
Commissioner Dennis Busby Administrative Asst. Angie Lind
Commissioner Rusty Mudgett
Commissioner Kathy Peterson
Commissioner John Smith
Commissioner Les Smith
Commissioner Alan Willoughby
PLANNING COMMISSIONERS ABSENT
Commissioner Steven Wise
(Planning Commission Meeting Called to Order at 7:30 p.m.)
A. ROLL CALL
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Good evening. That part of it is audience participation. Good evening.
AUDIENCE: Good evening.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: I guess not. All right. Welcome to the January 18, 2017 meeting of the Shawnee Planning Commission. We’ll start with roll call. Commissioner John Smith.
COMMISSIONER JOHN SMITH: Present.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Commissioner Peterson.
COMMISSIONER PETERSON: Here.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Commissioner Willoughby.
COMMISSIONER WILLOUGHBY: Here.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Commissioner Bienhoff.
COMMISSIONER BIENHOFF: Here.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Commissioner Busby is here. Commissioner Bogina.
COMMISSIONER BOGINA: Here.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Commissioner Wise is absent. Commissioner Braley.
COMMISSIONER BRALEY: Here.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Commissioner Les Smith.
COMMISSIONER L. SMITH: Here.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Commissioner Mudgett.
COMMISSIONER MUDGETT: Here.
B. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Thank you. Would we all join Mr. Willoughby in leading us in the Pledge of Allegiance?
(Pledge of Allegiance)
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Thank you.
C. CONSENT ITEMS
1. APPROVE MINUTES FROM THE PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING OF JANUARY 4, 2017.
2. FP-01-17-01; FINAL PLAT APPROVAL FOR SHAWNEE HOSPITAL, A ONE LOT COMMERCIAL SUBDIVISION, LOCATED IN THE 15000 BLOCK OF W. 67TH STREET. THE APPLICATION IS FILED BY BHC RHODES FOR THE EMBREE GROUP, DEVELOPER.
3. SUP-05-11-12; REVIEW OF THE SPECIAL USE PERMIT PREVIOUSLY ISSUED TO SKY ZONE, TO OPERATE AN INDOOR RECREATION (TRAMPOLINE) FACILITY IN THE COMMERCIAL NEIGHBORHOOD ZONING DISTRICT, LOCATED AT 6495 QUIVIRA RD.
4. SUP-09-95-09; REVIEW OF THE SPECIAL USE PERMIT PREVIOUSLY ISSUED TO CITY OF SHAWNEE, TO ALLOW CONSTRUCTION BY VERIZON OF A 165-FOOT MONOPOLE WITH A 15-FOOT ANTENNA, AT THE JOHN B. GLASER FIRE STATION, LOCATED AT 11665 W 65TH STREET.
5. SUP-08-03-11; REVIEW OF THE SPECIAL USE PERMIT PREVIOUSLY ISSUED TO WESTAR ENERGY, FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF A ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY (180) FOOT LATTICE TELECOMMUNICATIONS TOWER, LOCATED AT 8510 COLE PARKWAY.
6. SUP-06-11-12; REVIEW OF THE SPECIAL USE PERMIT PREVIOUSLY ISSUED TO CHRISTINE FOLEY-MITCHELL, TO OPERATE AN IN- HOME DAY CARE FOR UP TO TEN (10) CHILDREN AS A HOME OCCUPATION, LOCATED AT 21506 W. 51ST TERRACE.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: The Consent Item. Items 1 through 6 are listed under the Consent Items Agenda. Unless there is a request to remove an item from the Consent Agenda, the items will be approved in one motion. Is there a request to remove an item from the Consent Agenda? If not, is there a motion to approve the Consent Agenda? Commissioner John Smith.
COMMISSIONER J. SMITH: Mr. Chairman, I move that we approve the items on the agenda.
COMMISSIONER MUDGETT: Second.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: There’s a second by Commissioner Mudgett. Thank you. There’s a motion and a second to approve the Consent Agenda. All in favor say aye.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Opposed nay. Motion carries.
(Motion carried 9-0. Commissioner Wise absent)
D. NEW BUSINESS
1. SUP-02-15-02; WITHDRAW OF THE PREVIOUSLY ISSUED SPECIAL USE PERMIT ALLOW LIVE MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT IN THE FORM OF A DISC JOCKEY, KARAOKE, MUSIC TRIVIA AND A LIVE BAND AT TWISTER’S BAR AND GRILL, IN THE CN (COMMERCIAL NEIGHBORHOOD) ZONING DISTRICT, LOCATED AT 13410 WEST 62ND TERRACE.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Under New Business. Paul.
MR. CHAFFEE: Do you want to read it? Go ahead and read the caption.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: SUP-02-15-02; Withdraw of the Previously Issued Special Use Permit Allow Live Musical Entertainment in the Form of a Disc Jockey, Karaoke, Music Trivia and a Live Band at Twister's Bar and Grill, in the CN (Commercial Neighborhood) Zoning District, Located at 13410 West 62nd Terrace.
MR. CHAFFEE: This request is to withdraw a previously issued special use permit. The applicant received special use permit approval to allow for live musical entertainment in the form of a disc jockey, karaoke, music trivia and a live band at Twister’s Bar and Grill in the Commercial Neighborhood Zoning District. The special use permit was originally issued in February of 2015 and last reviewed in 2016. Twister's Bar & Grill is no longer in business at this location.
Planning staff recommends withdrawal of SUP-02-15-02 for a special use permit issued to Twister's Bar & Grill to provide live entertainment since the business has closed.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Thank you. Since the applicant would not be here then, we’re into Commission discussion or I would hope we have a motion. Commissioner Braley.
COMMISSIONER BRALEY: Yes. I’d like to make a motion that we approve the withdrawal of SUP-02-15-02; Special Use Permit, Twister’s Bar and Grill Restaurant with live entertainment.
COMMISSIONER L. SMITH: Second.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Second by Commissioner Les Smith. All in favor say aye.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Opposed nay. Motion carried.
E. OTHER BUSINESS
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: We’re into other business. Paul.
MR. CHAFFEE: Staff just has one item for you. Just a reminder that January has five Mondays, so our next meeting will be in three weeks and the meeting will be on a Monday this time. That’s all staff has this evening.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Thank you. Does Commission have any questions for staff? I have one thing. I have a compliment to the staff, is in the daycare that was applied for, we have the long form of the Shawnee Fire Department’s checking on that, and I’m glad to see that in there. It reminds me of all the things that we check for for home daycare. So, thank you and I hope we continue to do that.
MS. LIND: It is their new form.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: I’m sorry?
MS. LIND: It is their new form.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: We like the new form. That’s a good thing. Any other business for the staff?
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Yes, Commissioner Les Smith.
COMMISSIONER L. SMITH: I didn’t have anything, sir.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: How about a motion for adjournment?
COMMISSIONER L. SMITH: Oh, I can do that.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: All right.
COMMISSIONER L. SMITH: Mr. Chairman, I move that we adjourn this meeting.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Is there a second? Commissioner Peterson.
COMMISSIONER PETERSON: I second.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: There’s a motion and second to adjourn the meeting. All in favor say aye.
CHAIRMAN BUSBY: Motion carried. We’re done.
(Motion passed 9-0. Commissioner Wise absent)
(Shawnee Planning Commission Meeting Adjourned at 7:35 p.m.)